Andy Warhol’s “Silver Car Crash (Double Disaster).”
Andy Warhol’s “Silver Car Crash (Double Disaster).” Photo courtesy of Sotheby’s.Sold 13 NOVEMBER 2013
Wednesday’s Sotheby’s sale beats a previous Warhol auction in 2007 when Green Car Crash (Green Burning Car I) sold for $71.7 million.
An iconic image by the artist called Coca-Cola (3) sold for $57.2 million Tuesday at Christie’s auction house.
The original post from 2011 appears further below but because of the popularity of this post, we wanted to give viewers an up-to-date list of the top Andy Warhol works. Among the many interesting features is the number of new works on the list that have been sold in recent years:
1) Silver Car Crash (Double Disaster) (1963) $105.4m In November of 2013, Sotheby’s sold this painting as the capstone to Tobias Meyer’s career at the auction house. He left shortly after.
2) Eight Elvises (1963) – $100m In October 2008, Warhol’s Eight Elvises painting was sold in a private sale via French art consultant Philippe Ségalot for a price of $100 million, a record for Warhol’s work.
3) Warhol 1963 silk-screen of a trio of overlapping, gun-toting images of Elvis Presley, “Triple Elvis [Ferus Type],”
sold to an anonymous European telephone bidder for $82 million.
4) Turquoise Marilyn (1964) – $80m In May 2007 the painting, one of Warhol’s several portraits of Marilyn Monroe, was purchased by art collector Stephen A. Cohen in a private sale from Dtefan Edlis via Larry Gagosian for a price believed to be $80 million.
5) Green car Crash (Burning Green Car 1) (1963) – $71.7m Also in May 2007, this painting was sold at a Christie’s auction in New York for a then-record auction price of $71.7 million to art collector Philip Niarchos, son of the Greek shipping magnate Stavros Niarchos.
6) “Elvis,” Christie’s sold Warhol’s 1966 portrait of actor Marlon Brando, “Four Marlons,” for $70 million.Andy Warhol printed a quartet of portraits showing the actor leaning against a motorcycle and dressed as the devil-may-care biker in the 1953 film “The Wild One.”
7) Men In Her Life (1962) – $63.4m In 2010 the black and white portrait of Elizabeth Taylor, pictured with both her third husband Mike Todd and future husband Eddie Fisher, sold to an anonymous buyer at a New York Phillips de Pury & Co auction for $63.4 million. The work was consigned by the Mugrabi family.
8 ) Andy Warhol – Self Portrait With a Fright Wig (1986) sold at Art Basel 2014 usd60m = gpb35m
9) 200 One Dollar Bills (1962) – $43.8m In November 2009 the painting was sold at a Sotheby’s auction to an anonymous buyer for $43.8 million. It was sold by London-based art collector Pauline Karpidas, who had purchased the work in 1986 for a mere $385,000.
10) Statue of Liberty (1962) — $43.8m Christie’s sold this 3D version of the Statue of Liberty in November of 2012.
11) Double Elvis (Ferus Type) — This Sotheby’s lot sold in the Spring of 2012 but the second registration of the image was so faint that one wag called it Elvis 1.1.
12) Marilyn Monroe White – $36.5m With buyers premium $41,045,000 The painting sold in May 13th 2014 at a Christies auction in New York.
Andy Warhol (1928-1987)
signed, dated and inscribed ‘To Eleanor Ward Andy Warhol/62’ (on the reverse)
acrylic and silkscreen ink on linen
20 x 16 in. (50.8 x 40.6 cm.)
Painted in 1962.
13) Four Marilyns (1962) — $38.245m Phillips scored with this Mugrabi work in the Spring of 2013 which was bought by a dealer who works for Gagosian Gallery.
14) Coca Cola  (Large Coca Cola) – $35.36m The painting sold in November 2010 at a Sotheby’s auction in New York for a price of $35.36 million to Steven Cohen who seemed to have gotten a bargain at the time.
Ask me about the Warhol art works I have for sale, I can also help you sell a Warhol please contact me.
I represent very wealthy Buyers and Sellers.