Lamborghini Diablo GT
1999-2000 Diablo GT (80 built)
An Exclusive Diablo GT from Lamborghini
The fastest production car in the world.
At the 1999 Geneva Motor Show Lamborghini has presented a new very high performance car that will be produced in limited edition. Only 80 Diablos GT will leave the factory of Sant’Agata Bolognese to find happy owners among the enthusiasts of supercars.
The Diablo GT is derived from the experience gained in the development of a GT2 race car combined with Lamborghini’s competence in the production of high performance road cars. The result is a sport car with very high performance, while homologated in most countries, and driveable on open roads. In fact the Lamborghini Diablo GT is the fastest production car in the world with a top speed of 338 km/h.
The most important innovations, in comparison with the Diablo’s range already in production are:
* new Lamborghini V12, 6 litre engine
* new design of the body
* wider front track
* improved chassis and suspension
* reduced weight
* new sportier interior
* significantly higher performances
The new Lamborghini Diablo GT became available September 1999.
The new Diablo GT has many advanced technical features that’s worthwhile to explain in detail.
New Lamborghini 6 litre V12 engine, particularly conceived for superior performance (max power 575 PS (423 kW) at 7300 rpm, max torque 630 Nm at 5500 rpm).
* Multi-trottles intake manifold (“individual intake system”: one trottle unit per each cylinder), with improved runners for high flow coefficients
* new intake and exhaust camshafts, tuned to achieve very high charge efficiency at medium-high engine speeds
* intake variable valve timing system (derived from the well proven system already used on Diablos model year ’98 and ’99) in order to guarantee good charge efficiency and then good torque not only at high but also at low engine speeds
* dynamic air inlet duct upstream the intake plenum for additional improvements of charge density and then engine power with the increasing of car speed
* aluminum construction (as Lamborghini’s tradition) with magnesium intake manifold and cylinder head covers
* titanium connecting rods and lighter crankshaft
* improved exhaust system for reduced backpressure, with Lamborghini ENCS (Exhaust Noise Control System) for Noise control
Engine Management System
In order to match the characteristics of the new multi-trottles intake manifold a new version of Lamborghini’s proprietary electronic engine control “LIE” has been developed, it doesn’t only guarantee high performances but also food driveability at low speeds and the respect of emission requirements. The new system has been designed as a combination of “speed density” and “throttle speed” concepts:
* Fuel injection is sequential multipoint
* Ignition is static, with individual coils
* Lamborghini Data Acquisition System (LDAS) and diagnostic functions are integrated in the system
Exhaust Noise Control System (ENCS)
It is a further development of the noise control system already adopted in the current Diablo range.
A special design of the exhaust pipes, together with a variable geometry system based on the actuation of two vavles (controlled by the engine management system), enables a control of the exhaust noise at low and high engine rev. without loss of performances:
* at low/medium speeds: throttles closed, each part of the pipe included between the throttle and the “1 in 2” or the “2 in 1” junction acts as a noise filter (for each bank two resonance pipes with closed end “in parallel” are so created) for medium frequencies
* at high speeds: throttles opened, the length difference of the pipes between the junctions acts as a noise (“interference effect”) for high frequencies
Traditional Lamborghini’s two engine cooling radiators “in parallel” with a new front mounted engine oil cooler.
RWD transmission, Lamborghini 5 speed gearbox with various gear ratios options to satisfy different customers’ requirements. The gearbox control lever is on the central tunnel, in an asymmetric position closer to the steering wheel for better ergonomics.
Chassis Frame, Suspensions
In comparison with the standard Diablo versions, the GT features a larger front track (+ 110 mm) with modified suspensions and chassis frame in order to achieve optimal handling characteristics for sport driving at high speed. New pedalery and new lightweight aluminum alloy wheels are fitted.
The brake and the ABS systems are derived from the well proven high performance systems of the Diablo range with self ventilated large diameter discs (355 mm front, 335 mm rear) with high performance callipers and last generation ABS system. For Lamborghini Diablo GT even better performances are acheived, thanks to the reduced car weight.
Lamborghini Diablo GT combines a new construction technology with a new design. Almost all the body parts are made of carbon fibre, excluding the roof and the doors only:
* Front bumper of new design, with integrated air intakes for the new front mounted oil cooler and for the brakes
* Rear bumper of new design, “wign shaped”
* Front fenders of new design, matching the larger front track
* Front bonnet of new design, with integrated air outlet from the oil cooler
* Engine bonnet of new design, incorporating the engine dynamic air intake
The Diablo GT is available in 4 colours: orange, titan-silver, black and garish yellow.
In the interior, of new design, most components are made of carbon fibre.
Racing seats, racing 4 point safety belts, sporty steering wheel and general fport trimming, leather and alcantara upholstery, carbon fibre parts “in sight”, are all elements that give a sporty feeling to the friver and to the passenger. The air conditioning system is standard equipment to maintain a high comfort level.
A dual air bag system is available as an option.
As of the International Automobil Show of Frankfurt (September 1999), an optional rear wing mounted camera system became available to assist in reversing. The system comes complete with a display on the centre console which can also be used for GPS navigation.
Although Lamborghini Diablo GT is a true road car (conforming to EU safety and emissions requirements), the combination of a very powerful engine, reduced weight and improved suspension provides “race car” characteristics for acceleration, handling and top speed (338 Km/h).
Lamborghini Diablo GT
Type 60° V12
Aluminum alloy block and heads
chain driven DOHC per bank
magnesium intake manifold
Valves 4 per cylinder
Bore/Stroke 87mm x 84mm
Fuel System Lamborghini LIE with sequential multipoint fuel injection
Ignition Static ignition, with idividual coils
Oil Pump Gear type
Oil Filter Full-flow cartridge
Cooling System pressurised water cooling (1.2 bar) thermostatic valve, with 2 radiators “in parallel”, electric fans, front mounted oil cooler
Horsepower 575 bhp @ 7300 rpm
Torque 630 Nm/428 ft lb @ 5500
Transmission 5-speed + reverse, RWD
Ratios 3 different available options
Clutch Dry single plate 10″
Chassis High strength tubular space frame with carbon fibre components
Body Aluminum alloy, carbon fibre and fibreglass reinforced plastic
Steering Variable power assisted rack and pinion
Wheels O.Z. Racing 3-piece, cast aluminum hub with forged aluminum rim
– front 8.5 x 18 inches
– rear 13 x 18 inches
Front Tires 245/35ZR-18 Pirelli P Zero
Rear Tires 335/30ZR-18 Pirelli P Zero
Front Independent unequal length control arms, coil springs, anti-roll bar.
Rear Independent unequal length control arms, 2 coil shock units, anti-roll bar.
Type Double hydraulic circuit with Lucas Variety ABS system
Front 355 mm ventilated discs
Rear 11.2 x 0.9 in. ventilated discs
Handbrake Mechanical on the rear wheels
Wheelbase 2650 mm
Overall Length 4430 mm
Overall Width 2040 mm
Overall Width (including side mirrors) 2200 mm
Overall Height 1115 mm
Front Track 1650 mm
Rear Track 1670 mm
Ground Clearance n/a
Weight 1460 kg
Fuel Tank 26.4 U.S. Gallons
Top Speed 338 kph / 211 mph
0-60 (mph) 3.5 sec
Noise Level 102 dbA